BLT Fried Egg-and-Cheese Sandwich
(Food & Wine, July 2007)
TOTAL TIME: 20 MINMAKES 1 SANDWICH
Thomas Keller’s scrumptious recipe combines three of the world’s most popular sandwiches—bacon, lettuce and tomato; fried egg; and grilled cheese.
- 4 thick slices of bacon
- 2 slices of Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 thick slices of rustic white bread, toasted and hot
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 leaves of butter lettuce
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, turning, until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Drop the bread in the toaster. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Set the Monterey Jack slices on 1 piece of toast. Spread the mayonnaise on the other slice of toast, then top with the bacon, then tomato and then lettuce.
- In a small, nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Add the egg and fry over medium heat, turning once, until crisp around the edge, about 4 minutes; the yolk should still be runny. Slide the egg onto the lettuce; close the sandwich and eat right away.